Gulf Shores, AL
A hole-in-one at the University of Alabama’s golf course in 1965 started a friendship between Jim “Scrappy” Edgemon and Jerry Pate that eventually led Pate, the 1974 U.S. Amateur champion and the 1976 U.S. Open champion, to design Alabama’s only beachfront golf resort. Today, Kiva Dunes consistently ranks as one of the top courses in Alabama.
Perhaps no course on the planet can offer the soothing and calm feeling found at Kiva Dunes thanks to the sounds of the rolling waves, the feel of the gentle sea breeze cooling the sizzle of the warm summer sun on the skin, the fragrance of the salty air, and the call of the shore birds. Simply by closing their eyes, golfers can temporarily forget about their next shot and allow their minds to relax, as the sounds and feelings of the Gulf waters take them to a calming spot – alone on the beach with no worries or cares. On a course that demands concentration and accuracy, the ability to relax can certainly help golfers remain calm.
Relaxation is a central theme at Kiva Dunes. The moment guests set foot onto their pristine, beachfront paradise, their senses are sure to be calmed by the tranquil setting. Kiva Dunes’ luxurious beach homes, which have a distinctly West Indian style design with a hint of Spanish, North African, and Southeastern American influences mixed in, create a welcoming atmosphere on one of the most spectacular seaside settings in the world.
Good times and good food are always on the menu at The Kiva Grill, located in the main resort building. Guests will peruse through an extensive menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner while taking in incredible pool and water views, as well as a view of the newly redesigned award-winning golf course.
Kiva Dunes is a world away from the hustle and bustle of the outside world.
Awards & Accolades
- #4 Best in State Ranking – Golf Week – 2015-2016
- Best Courses You Can Play – Golfweek – 2015
- #2 Best in State Ranking – Golf Week – 2011
- #62 Best Golf Resorts in North America – Golf Digest – 2007
- #2 Best Public Access Course in Alabama – Golfweek – 2004-2007
- #58 America’s 100 Greatest Public Courses – Golf Digest – 2003
- #3 Best Course in Alabama – Golf Digest – 2003
- #68 America’s Top 75 Golf Resorts – Golf Digest – 2002
- Modern Classics Course – Links – 2000
- Top 10 Courses You Can Play – Golf Magazine – 1996
- #24 America’s Top 75 Upscale Courses – Golf Digest – 1996
- #2 Best New Public Courses in U.S.- Golf Digest – 1995
- #1 Best in State Ranking – Golf Digest – 1995